Founded in 1984, the Academy of Australian and New Zealand Prosthodontists is the peak body for the dental speciality of Prosthodontics. The Academy was created to represent the needs and interests of prosthodontists within dentistry and to the general public, by providing opportunities for communication, education, and improvement of all aspects of prosthodontics through meetings and educational courses, communications, publications, and other programs and activities.
The AANZP aims to advance the dental and general health of the community through delivery of the highest quality specialist prosthodontic services with expert knowledge and care.
Representing a unified voice for the specialty, The Academy regularly communicates and interacts with the Dental Board, the Australian Dental Council and other statutory authorities in particular AHPRA, as well as other dental specialty organisations to discuss, support, and influence key issues impacting the specialty and the future of prosthodontic education.
- Promote the recognition of prosthodontics as a specialist discipline of dentistry.
- Promote public education about prosthodontic procedures and prosthodontic care.
- Support the interests of Academy members in the practice and teaching of prosthodontics.
- Accreditation of prosthodontic training programmes across Australia and New Zealand
- Promote and maintain the high ethical and professional standards of prosthodontists.
- Encourage the study of prosthodontics in Australia and New Zealand.
The AANZP provides specific guidance on the professional ethics and behaviour required of members. It reflects the professional standards expected of Specialist Prosthodontists and the communities we serve.
Embedded in our professional role are the values of AANZP which are:
- Clinical excellence and ethical practice
- Honesty, integrity and respect
- Scholarship and collegiality
These values guide us in our interactions with patients, fellow dental specialists and dental colleagues, trainees, allied health care staff, and other stakeholders in the health sector.